I want to review the history of actions Norton 360 has taken in the past to see what viruses and threats have been removed and what files have been quarantined.
How can I do it?
Norton 360 maintains records of all actions that it takes and the computer activities that it monitors. Any action taken can be reviewed in the history logs later on.
Norton 360 Security History delivers a convenient tool to execute the following tasks:
- View the summary of alerts and event messages
- View the results of scans that are run on your computer
- View the items that you submitted to Symantec Security Response
- Manage Quarantine items
- Monitor the security tasks that your products perform in the background
Security History allows you to review the security tasks executed in the past that your Norton performs in the background. This is convenient, because many background tasks don't display any notifications which means you cannot view an alert immediately when a task is being performed. However, this information is stored for you and can be accessed later in the Security History.
Scan results, alerts, and notifications under their respective categories in the Security History window. For example, the security items that are related to the Quarantine feature appear under the Quarantine category. In addition, the Security History window displays details of each item in the information category.
By default, the following information categories are available in the Security History window:
- Quarantine History
- Firewall - Network and Connections
- Full History
- Recent History
- Backup History
- Firewall - Network and Connections & Activities
- Stopped intrusions
- Quick Scan Results
- Full Scan Results
- Sites reported to Symantec
- System Activity Monitoring
- Unresolved Security Issues
- Tune-Up History
- Norton Product Tamper Protection
- Norton Community Watch Reports
- Norton AntiSpam Reports
- Identity Theft Protection History
- Recorded Errors
Silent Mode sessions summary can be viewed under the Full History category in the Security History window. This section contains information about when Silent Mode was turned on and off, and the security tasks that were performed during Silent Mode. The installation of Privacy Control and Parental Control is not part of the standard Norton 360 installation process.
Therefore, Privacy Control and Parental Control categories appear in the list only after you install Parental Control and Privacy Control. The installation of Privacy Control and Parental Control is not part of the standard Norton 360 installation process.
Therefore, Privacy Control and Parental Control categories appear in the list only after you install Parental Control and Privacy Control. Based on the security status of an item in an information category, you can take an appropriate action to resolve a risk or a threat.
Some of the actions that you can take are Restore & Exclude, Remove from History, Submit to Symantec, Trust, Restrict, Remove trust, Remove restriction, Allow, Stop Notifying Me, and Notify Me. Norton 360 also lets you save the security events history. You can view the security event information whenever you want.
For example, if you want to analyze the security events on a particular day, you can use the Quick Search feature and save the Security History logs. You can later import the file into Security History and analyze the data.
What items can be viewed in Security History
You can view the following categories of items in Security History:
- Security History alerts and event messages
- Results of the scans that are run on your computer
- Items that you submitted to Symantec Security Response
- Quarantine items
- Security tasks that your products perform in the background
The items that are related to the various product features appear under their respective categories in the Security History window. For example, the security items that are related to the Quarantine feature appear under Quarantine category in the Security History window. In addition, the Security History window displays details of each item in the respective category.
To view items in Security History follow the instructions below:
- In Main Window, select Tasks
- In the Tasks Window, select View Security History
- In Security History window, select the category you want to view in the View drop-down list. Available options are:
- Full History Displays the complete Security History
- Recent History Displays the alerts and notifications that were generated in the last 7 days
- Backup History This category displays the chronological list of backup sessions
- Parental Controls This view delivers categorized information about visited Web sites according to their content type. Parental Control must be turned on to have this history enabled.
- Firewall - Network and Connections Review blocked communications between your computer the Internet. This category displays information about the networks and remote computers that your computer PC to alongside the actions taken in the past.
- Privacy Control History You can mark some of the information stored on your PC as "private" using the Privacy Control tool. If you to send private information information over the Internet, Privacy Control will warn you about the security risk. The history of Privacy Control actions displays details about any private information that has been transmitted to a third party. Installation of Privacy Control is required to make this option available.
- Intrusion Prevention Intrusion Prevention displays details about recent Intrusion Prevention activities.
- Solved Security Risks Resolved Security Risks shows a list of security threats that Norton 360 has detected and solved.
- Scan Results Scan Results can be viewed directly after a scan completes, or in the Scan Results view in the Security History.
- Quarantine Quarantine view shows security risks that are isolated in the Security History Quarantine.
- System Activity Monitoring System Activity Monitoring records system and application activities that modify the configuration or the settings of your PC. The More Details view of this category provides details about the resources that were affected by the activity.
- Select a row to view details for that specific item. More information is available from the More Details option. This option enables you to view the advanced details in the Security History and to take actions as appropriate.
How to search Norton Security History
You can search the items that are listed in Security History. You can use the Quick Search to find items using a keyword or the name of a security risk. For example, if you want to view all of the alerts that Auto-Protect has generated, you can filter for the term Auto-Protect. If you want to view all of the items that pertain to a particular security risk, you can type the security risk name.
For example, you can type Adware.Hotbar as a security risk name in the Quick Search text box. All of the items that are related to this category are listed. You can use the reset icon next to Quick Search to clear the search results and return to the current Security History list.
The Quick Search facility can be used only on the current view. If you want your search to include all of the items in Security History, you must select the Full History view.